Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Maleina's Birthday


As a family, we went and saw Disney's new movie Frozen just before Christmas.  Maleina LOVED that show.  She was singing the songs the minute we got in the car.  She decided that she wanted me to make her a Frozen cake this year for her birthday.  (Finally, I didn't have to to make another castle!)  About ten days before her birthday I got a brilliant (or not so brilliant) idea to make her a dress similar to the one Elsa wears in the ice castle.  What was I thinking!!!!  I bought the fabric, and patterns (yes I needed two) and got to work.  This was my very first time sewing anything more than a blanket so having to work with two patterns took a lot of thinking on my part.  After a some trial and error (which means A LOT of unpicking) I finally had the dress finished at 4:45 pm on the day of her birthday.  Phew, at least I wasn't late!


For her cake I decided to make a tiered slanted cake to give the impression that the characters were climbing up a mountain.  I had a lot of fun making her cake and trying something new.  She loved both her cake and her dress and they were worth every minute I spent making them.
 
(view from the front)
 (view from the back)
This picture is just for fun!  I found it on my camera and just had to post it.  I have no idea why she did this pose for Mark when he was taking photos but I love it.  She has such a spunky personality and she keeps me on my toes.  Happy Birthday Princess!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love the cake!! What a great job you did. I need to get your cake recipe when you get a chance please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first project other than a blanket is amazing! I usually tend to cry over anything that requires a pattern :) Well done! It's beautiful... and the cake, as always, is so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Shauna! That is a lot of hard work. Everything turned out super cute. Maleina will remember this birthday her entire life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so glad you have a blog and I can see you and your cute family. That cake is to die for!

    ReplyDelete